These instructions are based on a normal post-operative condition. Healing and recovery are highly individual processes. In addition to the patients’ capacity to heal, recovery depends on the patient’s attentiveness and respecting the post-operative instructions. The after-care instructions are only general information. MCAN Health does not accept liability for the accuracy of these instructions. As in all surgeries, your doctor’s direction must be the one that is followed.
Before The Surgery:
- You should stop or reduce consuming any kind of tobacco products. They intervene with the healing process and anesthesia.
- Foods, drinks, and medications that include blood thinners should be stopped to be consumed to avoid any possibility of bleeding.
- Stop drinking alcohol one week before the operation date.
- 8 hours before the operation, you should stop feeding solid and liquid due to anesthesia.
- You will be given special clothing, you can also prepare a bag for yourself for pajamas or any kind of relax fittings if you want.
- Have a shower or bath before you leave the hotel.
- Please do not wear make-up, lens, nail polish, artificial nail or eyelashes, rings, piercing etc.
After The Surgery (Post-Operation Instructions):
- You will be given oral medications prescription. Please start taking them as instructed.
- Getting up and out of bed as soon as possible. Initially, you should sit over the edge of the bed for a while before standing. That will help to reduce the possibility of dizziness and fainting.
- You should avoid lifting your arms; avoid all sudden movements and physical strain for three weeks.
- The ideal resting position is on the back, with the body and legs slightly elevated to reduce any post-operative complications such as bleeding, hematomas or swelling as much as possible.
- Decreased activity may promote constipation, so you may add fruit to your diet, and be sure to increase fluid intake (you should drink 2-3 liters of water in a day).
- Even when not taking pain medications, alcohol consumption is prohibited for 3 weeks as it causes fluid retention.
- Movement is important but you should not force yourself, please rest as well.
- Social activities can be resumed 15 days after the surgery.
- After 3 weeks, you may start easy sport activities. Excessive exercises can be done after 6 weeks according to your healing progress.
- You should not have a shower until the first appointment with your doctor after the surgery.
- The operated area should be kept clean and dry.
- Bandages should not be removed by you. You will be instructed at your check-up regarding the bandages.
- Always use strong sun protection creams and avoid the incision areas from the sun for a year.
- You might experience pain in the parts of your body with scars. This is quite common.
- You will need to wear your special garment 4-6 weeks after surgery. It will be confirmed by your doctor at the check-up.
- Stay away from the heat sources or at least for 6 months; sauna, baths etc.
- You will have numbness and tightness around the incision areas. This will be resolved in time.
- Healing processes are progressing in the following period; between 3 to 6 weeks (swelling will reduce quite a lot), 3 to 6 months (shaping will be better and tissue healing will be completed), 12 months (whole healing will be completed).
The healing success depends on your aftercare too; so, please follow the instructions also by confirming with your surgeon.