All You Need to Know about Breast Reduction
What is Breast Reduction?
(Female) Breast reduction also known as mammoplasty is a cosmetic surgery used for reducing the large size of the breasts. Breast reduction is an effective cosmetic surgery for heavy, large and sagging breasts. Breast reduction surgery involves removing fat, glandular tissue and skin from the breasts to achieve a breast size proportionate to the patient’s body. There is a variety of both physical and psychological reasons to have breast reduction surgery.
Large and sagging breasts may result in various physical discomforts; excessive pain on shoulders, backache, neck pain, poor posture, over-sweating, skin irritation and indented bra-straps. Along with physical discomfort, large breasts may also cause emotional distress owing to harassment or undesired attention, low self-esteem and depression. Women with heavy and large breasts often complain about the difficulty of engaging with sports and other physical activities. Inability to wear stylish clothes or difficulty to find clothes suitable to their size is among the problems of women with large and heavy breasts. Breast reduction eliminates these problems by reducing the size of the breasts to make them more proportional to the patient’s body.
Breast reduction is also preferred by men who have enlarged breasts condition which is called gynecomastia. Obesity, genes, hormone imbalance, too much alcohol consumption, liver cancer or failure, and excessive weight loss without sports can be among the reasons of gynecomastia. Breast reduction surgery is used to flatten the breasts of a man who feels discomfort due to his enlarged breasts.
How is Breast Reduction Performed?
Length of breast reduction surgery: Between 1,5 to 4 hours.
Anesthesia: General anesthesia.
Inpatient or Outpatient: Inpatient.
Incisions: Breast reduction surgery is usually performed through incisions on your breasts with the removal of excess fat, breast tissue, and skin to reshape and resize your breasts proportional to your body.
There are several different methods used for breast reduction. Your surgeon will choose the most appropriate incision method of breast reduction by considering the size and shape of your breasts as well as your desired breast size.
There are 3 most common incision techniques used for breast reduction surgery:
• Anchor type or inverted T reduction: This technique involves an anchor-shaped incision starting around the areola, going down vertically and then horizontally across the breast crease.
• A circular pattern around the areola: Involves incision around the areola in a circular pattern.
• A keyhole or racquet-shaped pattern: This technique involves an incision around the areola and vertically down to the breast crease.
Repositioning the nipples and removing tissue: After incision (cut), breast reduction carries on with repositioning of the nipples (which remains attached to its original blood and nerve supply). The nipples and areola may be removed and repositioned on an upper part of the breasts (as a skin graft) if you have extremely large breasts. Then excess fat, breast tissue, and skin are removed.
Closing up the incisions: The incisions are brought together to reshape and reduce the size of the breasts. To create and support the reshaped breasts, the surgeon puts stitches deep within the breast tissue. For sewing/closing up the cuts, skin adhesives or surgical tape are used. Incision lines are permanent, however, usually they disappear or fade away substantially in due course.
Instructions for Pre-Operation
Although pre-operation instructions may vary from one patient to another, you may be expected:
• To make sure that you are suitable to have a breast reduction surgery by informing your surgeon about your health state or by having some medical tests.
• Not to take aspirin, ibuprofen or any other anti-inflammatory medication because they may cause your blood to get thinner.
• To quit smoking two weeks before the surgery.
• To avoid to consume alcohol one day before the surgery.
• To remove your makeup, any other cosmetics and any metal jewels on your body.
• Not to consume any food or beverages sometime before the operation starts, etc.
You will have an extensive consultation with your MCAN Health cosmetic surgeon before your breast reduction surgery where you will have a chance to ask any questions in your mind to your cosmetic surgeon.
Instructions for Post-Operation
Although there are some general post-operation instructions for every patient, there may be some additional instructions for some patients. You will be informed in detail about post-operation instructions by your MCAN Health cosmetic surgeon. You will have some thin adhesive strips on your incisions which will go away naturally in 10 days. Some general post-operation instructions are:
• No heavy physical exercises including stretching and weight lifting.
• No alcohol for a few days after your breast reduction surgery.
• A need to wear a special support bra for 2-3 days after your breast reduction surgery.
• Follow the prescription given by your surgeon.
• No swimming pools for while to protect your incisions from infection.
• No application of any creams or gels on your breasts especially on your incisions.
• No shower for a day after your breast reduction surgery.
• Keep your incisions clean and dry at all times to prevent infection, etc.
Results of Breast Reduction
You can check the before after gallery for the results of Breast Reduction here.
After your breast reduction in Turkey by MCAN Health, you will:
• Have increased self-confidence and self-esteem.
• Feel more attractive and feminine.
• Have more clothing options.
• Be able to take part in sports and physical activities.
• Have an improved posture.
• Get rid of backache, neck and shoulder pain