These instructions are general aftercare information that tells you what to do after your abdominoplasty procedure. MCAN Health does not accept liability for the accuracy of these instructions. The instructions of your doctor after your abdominoplasty should be the ones you must apply.
- In case of pregnancy, any kind of surgical operations will be terminated.
- If you are planning to give a birth, please do not proceed with the surgery. After you give birth, please plan your abdominoplasty operation.
Before The Surgery
- Smoking and drinking alcohol must be stopped. As you are going to have general anesthesia, smoking may increase the complication risks and slows general and incision healing period.
- Taking any blood thinners or any products, that can increase blood pressure and heart rate, should be stopped; herbal medicines, diet pills, vitamin supp., ibuprofen and such.
- Do not use any kind of medication without your doctor’s permission.
- Stop drinking and eating, at least 8 hours fasting is required for narcotization.
- You can have a shower this day because you will not be allowed until your check-up day.
- Pack your valuables and all kind of jewels. Any kind of metal wears is not allowed in the surgery room.
- As your movements will be limited for a few days, please prefer loose clothing.
- Do not wear contact lenses, make-up or any unnatural substance (eyelashes, nails).
After The surgery (Post-Operation Instructions)
- You will be given water 2 or 3 hours and meal 4 or 5 hours after the operation.
- Strong painkillers would be given in specific timing as they are narcotic kind.
- Bruising and swelling are very normal after the surgery. They will diminish over time.
- If you are feeling any unusual heat and some other unusual sensations (like numbness) in your body, do not afraid as these are normal reactions after a tummy tuck operation. In a short period of time, all will disappear.
- Smoking is not suggested because it may cause bad wound healing. Restrict smoking for at least 2 weeks after your surgery.
- At the hospital, all the medication will be given by nurses, but after discharge, please take your pain-killers, antibiotics, and vitamins as directed. This is the best way to manage your temporary discomfort.
- It is important to get out of bed early after your surgery (with assistance on the first day) to prevent post-operative problems. Please take 15-20 deep breaths and move your legs each hour to keep your lungs clear and to increase blood circulation.
- Wear compression garment continuously for 6 weeks and after consultation with your doctor. Before you go to shower, wash your corset, then dry and wear it again.
- You will have skin dressing (bandages) over your incisions. These bandages will be changed during the check-up. You can shower with the dressing on. You always need to keep the dressing and the wound dry and clean.
- Your stitches will dissolve by themselves, so they would not be removed.
- Stay on a soft diet, high in protein for 2-3 days and avoid spicy food which can cause nausea and gas. After this period, you may resume to a normal, high protein diet.
- It is important to walk slightly in a bending position for 3-5 days to release tension on the suture line. You may try to straight up slowly after and sleep in V position for 3 days for the healing quality of your scar.
- Do not forget, your guide is your body. Always listen to your reactions. Keep away from any activity that causes any pain or discomfort. Avoid bending down, heavy lifting and straining for at least 3 weeks.
- Abdominal stress on your muscles will stretch or break the sutures if you exercise before 6 weeks. Any kind of exercise can be started after 3 months.
- You may resume sexual activity after 3 weeks. For the first 10 days following surgery, raising your blood pressure will cause bleeding.
- Do not drive for 7-10 days.
- Drink 2-3 liters of water in a day.
- You can drink one cup of green tea to decrease the edema after 10 days.
- It is good to walk for 15-20 minutes a couple of times every day.
- Do not take aspirin or similar products that can increase your blood circulation for 3 weeks after surgery.
- You may begin swimming 4 weeks post-operatively only if your healing is complete. However, do not swim in a swimming pool. You can swim in the pool after 8 weeks.
- Do not go to the sauna, bath or etc. The heat and steam provoke the swelling.
After the surgery, it is important to send photos of your body parts’ condition periodically at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 6 months, and 1-year post-op. If you feel extraordinary symptoms, please do not wait any longer and contact us immediately.