All you Need to Know about Tummy Tuck
What is Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)?
Abdominoplasty, often referred to as tummy tuck, is a cosmetic surgery procedure that is used to flatten the abdomen and tighten the muscles of the abdomen by removing the unwanted fat and skin from the middle and lower abdomen. The aim of this operation is to re-form and re-shape sagging and loose abdomen. Therefore, tummy tuck operation is not used as a way of losing weight or treatment of obesity.
Tummy tuck operation can be done in two degrees, either full or mini (modified) tummy tuck can be performed depending on the circumstances and needs of the patient.
Not only women but also men undergo tummy tuck operation to have an enhanced tummy shape. The results of the operation can be permanent unless there is a dramatic weight loss after the surgery.
How is Tummy tuck (Abdominoplasty) Performed?
Length of tummy tuck: It may take 1 to 5 hours depending on the extensity of the fat removed on the abdomen. A mini tummy tuck usually takes 1 to 2 hours whereas full tummy tuck takes 2 to 5 hours.
Inpatient or Outpatient: Tummy tuck operation is a safe in-patient cosmetic surgery. Depending on the type of tummy tuck, patients stay in hospital 1 to 3 days.
Anesthesia: it’s is usually performed under general anesthesia.
Types of Tummy Tuck: There are two types of tummy tuck (abdominoplasty). The type of tummy tuck to be used for your operation is determined by the amount of the fat on your abdomen.
- Full tummy tuck- is used for patients with excessive fat on the abdomen.
- Mini tummy tuck- is used for patients with little but unwanted fat on abdomen.
Incision: For a full tummy tuck, generally the incision is made from hip to hip (which could be hidden by underwear), across the lower abdomen. The second incision can be made around the belly button to remove unwanted skin around it and to re-position the belly button. For a mini tummy tuck, the incisions are minor compared to the full tummy tuck.
Removal of the excess fat and skin: After incisions, excess fat and skin will be removed. Then stretched muscles will be gathered together and stitched. Finally, the remaining skin will be pulled down and your belly button will be re-positioned accordingly.
Instructions for Pre-Operation
Your MCAN Health surgeon will give you detailed information about pre-operation instructions including:
• Having a medical check-up.
• Not to take any medication that can thin your blood such as aspirin, ibuprofen or any other anti-inflammatory medication.
• No smoking two weeks before the surgery.
• No alcohol one week before the surgery.
• Not to consume any food or beverages some time before the operation starts, etc.
Instructions for Post-Operation
As post-operation care, you need to:
• Take certain medication advised by your tummy tuck surgeon.
• Avoid excessive physical exercise.
• Consume liquid as much as you can to avoid swelling.
• Have a light diet for 3-4 days to avoid nausea and gas.
• Avoid anything which may result in an increase in blood pressure.
• Avoid swimming for a while.
• Wear a corset for 6 weeks after the surgery, etc.
Results of Tummy Tuck
You can check before after gallery for results of tummy tuck here.
After your Tummy Tuck in Turkey by MCAN Health:
• You will have increased self-confidence and self-esteem.
• You will feel more attractive.
• You will feel fit.
• You will have more motive to keep a healthy diet.
• You will have more motive for physical exercise.
• You will feel satisfied with the size and proportion of your tummy.
• You will feel confident to wear your favorite bikini.
• You will have a wider choice for clothing.
• You will not hide your tummy anymore.