Aftercare Instructions for Otoplasty (Ear Reshaping)
Please remember that the after-care instructions are merely general information to help you after your otoplasty procedure. MCAN Health does not accept liability for the accuracy of these instructions. The instructions of your doctor must be followed with precise application.
General Instructions – Before and After The Surgery:
- Avoid smoking as it increases the risk of complications and causes negative scar healing.
- You should come to the operation with 8 hours long hunger if you are going to have general anesthesia.
- It is important to get out of the bed early and often after your surgery (with assistance, please ask for it) to prevent any complication such as blood cloth. It also helps the body to recover quickly.
- Take pain medications with food which will be prescribed by your doctor during your discharge.
- Do not smoke. This is very important! Poor healing, irregular scarring, and delayed recovery can all be caused by smoking.
- Apply covered ice bags to the operated areas of your ears for the first 48 hours and also you can keep your head elevated to reduce swelling post-operatively.
- Do not remove the head dressing on your own. The first removal will be done by your surgeon and he will advise how to wear it at your first control.
- Wear a headband over the ears for 6-8 weeks after surgery when sleeping or during sports activities, unless your surgeon tells the opposite.
- Avoid touching or rubbing operated areas. Especially, in the first couple of weeks, you need to be very careful because your ears will be very sensitive.
- Scratching the incision area is also forbidden even if it feels itchy. Incisions can be damaged by scratching.
- In the first week after your surgery, it is common for the ears to drain a small amount of fluid. If you see this happen, do not worry. Just use a swab made of cotton to softly wipe only the external part of the ear, do not go for the ear canal as it can be harmful.
- Extreme heat and fast changes in temperature are not recommended for 3 months; hairdryer, tanning, baths, etc.
- Swimming is not allowed for 6 weeks.
- Mind the healthy eating and drink fluids.
- As most of the swelling will be reduced after 3 months, you can see the results. But, of course, whole healing will be completed in a year in any kind of plastic surgery.