All You Need to Know about Nose Job
What is Nose Job?
Rhinoplasty, also called nose job or nose surgery or nose reshaping, is a surgery aiming to alter the size or shape of the nose. A nose surgery can be carried out for cosmetic and medical reasons. In some cases, the reason for a nose job can be both. If a patient has a nasal septum deviation resulting in breathing problems, an additional technique called septoplasty can be used along with rhinoplasty. By using these two techniques together, the surgery aims to enhance the appearance of the nose and to solve breathing problem at the same time.
The size and shape of a nose are determined by inheritance and develop until the age of 16. The result of nose surgery is permanent. Therefore, it is advised to have a nose job after the age of 16.
How is Nose Job (Rhinoplasty) Performed?
The characteristics of the nose and the expectations of the patient from the nose surgery can affect the length of the surgery and the length of hospital stay.
Length of a nose job: A nose job may take up to 3 hours.
Inpatient or outpatient: Usually, patients stay in the hospital for 1 or 2 nights.
Anesthesia: Nose surgery is usually performed under general anesthesia.
Types of Rhinoplasty: There are 3 types :
• Standard rhinoplasty: Full nose correction including the bridge, nose tip, and nostrils.
• Septorhinoplasty: Full nose correction along with fixing nasal septum deviation (for patients who have breathing problems as well).
• Rhino-tip: Correction of the tip and nostrils.
Incisions: The incisions for a nose surgery can be made inside or outside depending on the circumstances of the patient. In open surgery technique, the incisions are made outside the nose. In a closed surgery technique, the incisions are made inside the nose.
Reshaping the nose: The process may differ from one patient to another. Depending on the needs of the patient, the nose bone can be re-positioned or the cartilage can be re-shaped. Finally, the skin on the top of the nose is adjusted according to the new shape of the nose.
Instructions for Pre-Operation
Your MCAN Health surgeon will explain how to prepare for your nose surgery. For example, you may be asked to:
• Stop smoking 2 weeks before rhinoplasty if you smoke.
• Stop taking alcohol at least a day before the nose reshaping surgery.
• Stop eating or drinking 6 hours before the nose job.
• Stop taking certain medication 2 weeks before the surgery.
• Undergo certain medical tests.
• Avoid direct sunlight and tanning on your face for at least 1 month before the nose surgery, etc.
Instructions for Post-Operation
You will be instructed about post-operation care and you will be supported by MCAN Health even after you go back home via calls. Some examples of post-operation instructions are:
• Taking the prescribed medication after your nose surgery.
• Treating the nose with cold compress regularly.
• Sleeping on your back with your nose looking up at all times for a week.
• Not making any pressure on the nose by wearing glasses or sunglasses.
• Not blowing your nose for 2 weeks.
• Wearing a bandage until your check-up day.
• Not sneezing through your nose, etc.
Results of Nose Job
You can check before after gallery for results of nose job here.
Benefits of a nose surgery in Turkey with MCAN Health:
• Enhanced satisfaction with the overall facial appearance.
• Improved ability of breathing.
• More comfortable sleep thanks to enhanced nostrils.
• Enhanced self-esteem.
• Better look of your face from every angle.