Aftercare Instructions for Eye Lid Surgery
You will find some general information about after-care regularities to guide you after your eyelid procedure. MCAN Health does not accept liability for the accuracy of these instructions. Please follow as your doctors instruct you.
- Do not take any blood thinner medicines.
- Avoid smoking for at least two weeks before and after the surgery, as smoking delays the healing process and increases the risk of complications.
- Avoid alcohol when taking pain medications. Even if you are not taking pain medications, it is advisable to avoid alcohol for 3 weeks as it can cause fluid retention which may worsen the swelling.
- Do not eat or drink anything 8 hours before your surgery.
- All metals and artificial belongings should be removed during anesthesia. Thus, please do not wear them or remove before surgery.
- Do not wear make-up or apply any kind of lotion, cream etc. on your face.
After The Surgery (Post-Operation Instructions):
- Sleep and rest in an upright position. (On 2-3 pillows).
- Swelling in the eyelids is very normal and your eyes may feel hard to open. The swelling actually peaks at 48 hours after surgery and then begins to decrease.
- Using ice compression during the first 48 hours is very helpful for swelling.
- Bruising takes about 2 full weeks to completely resolve. It also depends on your body and aftercare.
- You may walk at any point, but hard level exercise should not be done for 2 weeks as it can raise your blood pressure. After that period, you may begin to work up to your normal exercise routine, but please begin slowly.
- Strictly avoid sun exposure. You can wear sunglasses right after your discharge.
- You can wear eye makeup to cover bruising after 10-14 days
- You can drive after 5 days. But for long drives, wait for 2 weeks.
- It is best to wait for 1 month before going in a hot tub or pool. They typically contain bacteria.
- Normal swelling after eyelid surgery usually takes 6-8 weeks to completely resolve. You will have better final results 12 weeks after surgery.
Leave us your number and we will get to you soon back.