What is PRP Treatment?
PRP Therapy, also known as Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy, is a type of treatment that speeds up the healing process for some certain injuries. Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Treatment is first used to cure muscle, bone, and joint injuries, especially for tennis players and athletes. Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Rafael Nadal, Stephen Curry are some of the professional sportsmen who have been treated with PRP.
In PRP Treatment, the patient’s own blood is used and the platelets are removed from the blood and injected into the skin. Platelets are the small cells that contain clotting and growth factors. Due to the large number of growth factor in the platelets, PRP stimulates healing.
Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy has gained attention as it hastens the healing process of the injuries of the professional sportsmen. Afterward, it has been started to be used in Orthopedics, Dentistry, Plastic Surgeries and in Hair Transplantation.
How is PRP Treatment Performed in Hair Transplantation?
1. First, the blood used for PRP is taken from the patient.
2. Then the blood is placed in a centrifuge and kept there revolving for 5 minutes.
3. The platelets (thrombocyte) are separated from other blood cells.
4. The plasma that is rich in platelets is injected into the scalp.
5. The whole procedure takes between 30 and 45 minutes.
Advantages of PRP Treatment
– As your own blood is used in the treatment, there is no risk of infection or any allergic reaction.
– It is an easy and quick way to promote healing and minimize the scars.
– PRP Therapy is a non-surgical treatment.
– PRP Treatment can be performed on the same day when the hair transplantation is done.
– PRP slows down the hair loss and lowers the possibility of scarring.